Property Sales - Frequently Asked Questions
How do I book a free valuation with Milne Moser Estate Agents?
We are happy to give you a valuation with no obligation to list your house with us. If your property is currently on the market with another agent and has not sold, we are able to offer advice and a fresh approach. Either call us or click here to complete the online form and we will contact you as soon as possible.
What will happen during my property valuation?
Our valuer will visit you at your property to give an indication as to what price it is likely to achieve. They will take into account current market conditions as well as your personal circumstances: whether you are just thinking about moving, considering your options or need a quick sale. We work with you to get the best possible price in a timescale that suits you.
What can I do to I get the best possible price for my property?
It’s a fact that a few small cosmetic improvements can have a big impact on attracting the right buyers. First impressions really do count - particularly in a very competitive market. There are a number of simple jobs that can help increase the level of interest in your property:
- if it needs it, give the front door a coat of paint
- tidy up the front lawn, garden and parking to increase your property’s ‘kerb appeal’
- fill in and redecorate any cracks to walls and ceilings
- use a pressure washer to clean garden decking and paths
- consider the layout of your rooms to maximise a feeling of space
- rooms look a lot smaller when there is a lot of furniture or clutter – take the opportunity to have a good clear out, and be ruthless!
- create a ‘blank canvas’ by giving your main living areas a lick of paint in neutral tones such as cream or white – buyers will be able to imagine their own furnishings and personality in the rooms much more easily
- make sure the bathroom and kitchen tiles are free from mould – maybe re-grout and re-silicone if needed
How long am I tied into a contract?
We believe that we offer the best service in the local area and are confident that our clients will want to remain with us throughout the selling process. However, if you decide not to sell at any time up until a sale is agreed, we only ask for two weeks’ notice in writing. Best of all, we don’t charge any withdrawal fees.
Why should I use an independent estate agent like Milne Moser?
As an independent estate agent, we have invaluable knowledge about the local area and are best placed to advise you about the local environment, provide you with accurate valuations and notify you of specific market trends affecting local property prices and sales.
Which websites do Milne Moser advertise through?
What do your sales particulars look like?
We take care of all the advertising for your home, which includes bespoke sales particulars. These will be provided in draft for your approval and uploaded onto all major property websites. You will receive a sample copy of our types of sales particulars in your FREE valuation pack.
What is a 3D floor plan?
3D floor plans have proved to be extremely popular with potential buyers as they allow them to picture how furniture and alternative decor might look in your property. We also produce traditional 2D floor plans as well and both are displayed on our websites.
Should I have a ‘for sale’ board?
Buyers often see ‘for sale’ boards as they are driving around new areas, which can prompt them to call us for a viewing or to find out more about your house. If you are concerned about unannounced door-knockers we can arrange for your board to say ‘viewings strictly by appointment only’, although the majority of people do book through the estate agent first.
How do Milne Moser contact potential buyers?
We have an extensive database full of potential buyers with whom we are in regular contact. As soon as your property goes on the market we call, email, text or post out details to buyers who might be interested in it.
How will you keep me up to date?
Your personal negotiator will ring to introduce themselves soon after you instruct us to sell your property, and will keep you informed throughout the sales process. A member of our team will ring you regarding feedback within two days of every viewing, and also contact you monthly in writing with a detailed report on the levels of interest on www.rightmove.co.uk. We also make sure our staff have all seen your property, we believe that this is important as our enthusiasm is catching when we are speaking to any potential buyers.
How will Milne Moser advertise my property?
We are committed to regular, widespread, high-quality marketing that showcases the location and character of your home. We advertise locally in the Westmorland Gazette. Your potential buyer may not currently be thinking of moving but your property might be the home they have always dreamed of.
Should I conduct my own viewings, or will you do this for me?
We are available to conduct viewings six days a week, and are one of the few estate agents in Kendal and Milnthorpe that offer accompanied evening viewings. All viewings will be confirmed in advance and we will ring you with feedback within two days. However, we appreciate that you may prefer to do your own viewings. After all, you know why you fell in love with your property when you bought it, and it can be helpful to buyers to have you present to answer any questions they may have.
How can I prepare my property before viewings?
It can take only 20 seconds for a buyer to decide if they like your property when they walk through the front door, so don’t underestimate the power of first impressions. To maximise its appeal:
- doors should open properly and porches should be cleared of coats, boots, shoes etc
- remember to declutter and depersonalise: buyers need to be able to visualise themselves living in your property so reduce the number of family photographs and kids’ drawings on display – you can always put them back up after the viewing
- vacuum, dust and give the sinks, baths and toilets a good clean, hiding any personal toiletries and putting out fresh towels
- on dark days, ensure that all the lights are on and draw back curtains to let in as much natural light as possible
- if it’s a cold winter day, light any open fire or woodburners and ensure that the heating is on
- close any windows that may be affected by outside noise such as traffic, trains etc
- empty the rubbish to banish smells and hide evidence of pets such as litter tray, food bowls
What happens when someone makes an offer on my home?
Your personal negotiator will notify you of the offer by phone call and in writing. We will check the validity of the offer, including any chain involved, and verify the buyer’s financial position.
Selling a property can be a stressful experience. What can Milne Moser do to help?
We are trained to handle all aspects of negotiating your sale to ensure that we get you the best possible price. Once a sale is agreed we work with your solicitors and any other estate agents in the property chain to ensure everything is running smoothly.